Monday, September 18, 2006

Instant Karma's Gonna Get You

Okay, okay, ye gods of karma. I get it. Lying is bad. Making up excuses is wrong. I apologize.

Now, please, won't you let me get some sleep?

I faked a headache last week to try to buy some extra hours of sleep. Around 5am Wed night/Thursday morning, when I was finally crawling into bed, it occurred to me that getting up in two hours for work was a really bad idea. Going on the logic that I would get more done in four hours (if I had slept some) than I would in eight hours (if I had not slept), I decided to cop a headache that "kept me up all night," take a few hours sick time, sleep in, and go to work late.

In fact, it was the right decision. I got a ton of work done in the four hours I was at work. I was a better and more productive employee. I was able to get through the next evening of campaigning without falling asleep. I absolutely made the right choice.

Except, of course, that little thing that involved lying about a headache. I guess that was probably a morally 'wrong' thing to do.

We'll leave aside my long diatribe on why my time should be my time, and if I have a certain amount of sick time a year and want to take part of it to sleep in because I know I will not feel well if I don't (sort of like preventive sick time), and if taking a few hours sick time will actually make me a better worker during the time I am at work, then why shouldn't I do it? I won't get too deeply into the fact that I am deeply bitter about this corporate mindset that not only condones but encourages employees to lie if they want to be able to use their earned time off. Regardless of my philosophical problems with the sick-time system, fact is I abused it just a little bit last week.

And now I can't sleep. Friday night, I figured my sleep schedule was still off from Wednesday night's lack of sleep. Saturday night, I blamed it on the mild case of sun poisoning I think I got that day. I tossed and turned and felt truly awful and nauseous all night, but there seemed to be a valid cause behind it.

But last night? I went to bed at a highly reasonable 1am after a long and exhausting weekend. I was more than ready to crash. I needed to sleep. And yet I lay there, wide awake. 2am. 3am. 4am. 5am. Unable to fall asleep, unable to quell the four thousand thoughts racing through my mind, unable to relax. Finally, around 6am, I think I managed to doze off...for a whole hour before I had to be up again.

Karma's a bitch.

And if I don't get some sleep soon....I will be, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home