Wednesday, September 13, 2006

A Little Shameless Bragging

It's days like today that I know I'm in the right profession. (Not with the right employer, perhaps, but definitely in the right profession.)

I'm a media addict. To me, there is absolutely nothing like the thrill of the hit...nothing like seeing a story you pitched (or worked to get your quote into, or worked to push the angle in a certain direction) make it into the paper.

I get all worked up and excited over what I know are relatively minor matters: placement on a page, column inches, days a story ran, making the lead quote, setting the tone of the story. Who won today's media cycle? Whose message is the story going with? Whose picture did they run with, and what does the headline say?

So for a news-junky like me, today was an awfully good day.

It started off this morning with a 6 minute WBUR (Boston's NPR station) story on my candidate. 5:49am & 7:49am, prime drive time. The story was perfect: repeated our message a zillion times, great quotes from the candidate, and great 'man on the street' interviews that sounded like they were reading our talking points (and they weren't...really!).

In the hierarchy of news media, NPR to me sits right up there with the NY Times. It's certainly equal, at least in my mind, to a Boston Globe story. They're hard to pitch, difficult to get onto, and can be a little unpredictable at times. Scoring this one is a HUGE excitement to me.

After that, there were articles in the Boston Herald. Their endorsement (or lack thereof) was less than thrilling, but we made the lead quote and set the tone for their coverage of last night's debate. I'll take it.

Plus endorsements from the Phoenix and Beacon Hill Times. Lots of positive chatter on the blogs. And a few requests for comments -- more stories tomorrow!

This is shameless bragging, I know. But I am riding awfully high today and feel like sharing.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ian said...

What's a blog for if you can't brag about your work? ;) ...but curiously no actual mention of Sonia's name... you should definitely include a link to her website, as well as a link to the NPR stories (on WBUR's website) and to any blog activity you've seen. People who search for any of those things on Google may find your post first, which (if nothing else) will show them what a crack team Sonia Chiang-Diaz has. It's all about the links!

12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home