Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Drinking the Kool-Aid, Part II

You know something is a little out of the ordinary when I find myself agreeing (generally) with a Boston Herald columnist.

Oh, I love the Herald (much to the surprise and perhaps consternation of my friends in the progressive community.) Yep, they're brash, they're noisy, they're decidedly conservative, they run some bigoted, awful editorials and op-eds, their headlines often distort the theme of the story, and they specialize in god-awful pictures of politicians.

But they also do some of the best investigative journalism in town. You can count on them for news (and views) you won't find in that other big paper in town. They call politicians to task when it needs to happen...and they're particularly friendly to the anti-incumbent insurgency candidacies I tend to support. Plus, the Herald reporters and columnists I've interacted with have all been friendly, down-to-earth, easy to work with, and trustworthy.

And the Herald is kinda fun. Admit it - if the Herald and the Globe were newspapers, who would you rather grab a beer with?

That said...that said. It's still a rare day I find myself nodding my head when I read a Herald column.

But today, I think Margery Eagan (generally) got it right. And she said it a lot more eloquently than I managed to in my previous post the other day....

The money quote?

"Which does more harm to rape survivors: An admittedly exploitative ad intended to play on all women’ fears? Or a bigwig civil rights lawyer doing what rape survivors will tell you is almost unbearable - doubting and disbelieving them, even after a court conviction? It’s a toss up, I’d say.

The truth here is that Kerry Healey should never have run her parking garage ad. It demeans her entire candidacy. But Deval Patrick should never have said what he said, either, or asked the parole board to free a convicted rapist he’d never even met.

They both screwed up. And organized women’s groups should have said so, or said nothing."



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home