Friday, June 02, 2006

An addendum: slightly less loathing

My dear friend R. took me to task for some of the language I used in my previous posting. She pointed out, and legitimately so, that my derogative use of the term "politically correct" in the same way that conservative writers use it -- i.e. to brand any discussion of power and language as a trivial, unnecessary waste of time -- is, well, unhelpful. By adopting their tone and allowing them to define the meaning of the word, I'm giving credence to their way of thinking.

I think it's a powerful argument -- worthy at least of consideration. So, R. , I'm considering it.

I believe strongly in the incredible power that language holds, and while I sometimes am annoyed by the dithering and nitpicking that goes on about terminology, I won't deny that language can be revolutionary. (If I ever get around to applying to PhD programs, I imagine that my research is going to center around issues of language, communication, issue definition and political power.) How we define an issue, the words we use to refer to people or groups, the linguistic context in which we form an argument...all of these things are incredibly potent. Anyone who has ever done work with surveys know that changing the words we use can have a marked effect on someone's opinion.

And I think R. was correct in pointing out that many discussions that are often labeled derisively as politically correct bullshit are actually really important to have. As much as it may occasionally annoy the hell out of me, we do need to talk about institutional racism, heteronormativity, sexist language, and any other systematic ways our society has developed off oppressing various groups of people.

But. But.

Here's the point I was trying, and perhaps failed, to make in my previous posting:

I am an incredibly privileged white girl. I come from a stable, middle-class background. I went to an elite midwest school where I was essentially taught that I got lucky -- and that it is my duty to help those that weren't quite so fortunate as I. (Yeah, I totally ate all that stuff up with a spoon. And while I truly do believe the sentiment, it's a pretty damn elitist way of stating it.) Oh, sure, I struggle with the massive amount of debt I incurred while in my little liberal arts haven, and sure, I have from time to time felt the forces of patriarchal oppression working against me. But let's get real, here - the fact remains that I am one privileged, privileged girl.

As are most of (not all! but most) of those liberals that spend their time trying to get their town councils to vote to impeach Bush or pester me on the street about saving the whales...or spend most of their time talking about institutional oppression.

We have time to sit around talking about all these meta-issues, because all these causes we fight for and these policies we rail against...well, let's be honest, they don't affect our daily lives all that much. The war in Iraq? Yeah, I'm against it. But what effect does that truly have on my day to day life? Entering the service was never even an option in my mind. I don't know anyone serving in Iraq. I don't even drive a car, so while I'm sure the oil prices affected my pocketbook in some ways, it's not restricting my movement.

Bush's economic policies? Yeah, totally against those. And I suppose the recession might have had something to do with the fact that it took me so damn long to get a job...but I sort of think there's a finite supply of political jobs of the sort I was looking for. And as much as I bemoan the cutting of all those social service programs...again, the lack of funding just doesn't change my life in any obvious ways.

Basically, what I'm trying in an incredibly long-winded way to say is this: I think we, as progressives, ought to channel our energies into practical victories - like winning elections and passing legislation -- because these are the ways we can most immediately make change and help people that need it. And while it's all well and good for us to talk about the bigger picture and strive for systematic changes, we can afford to do that because we don't need help right now.

But other people do.

(And if that wasn't the most earnest sounding posting you've read in awhile...well, you need to hang out with some more cynical people.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home